Saturday 19 November 2016

A New Start

I took Nameless out into the hills today. After being away so long, I figured I owed him something and it pleased me greatly to see him running free and having a good sniff around. I knew just how he felt. Course he don’t run so fast these days but that’s only to be expected, now that he’s getting gray hairs. Comes to us all, I guess.

I remember my first gray hair. It came as quite a shock to see it, on my nuts, as I soaked in the tub one day. Housty came running when she heard me yell and when I showed her what I was yelling at, she yanked it out and I yelled some more, danged woman.

(Sigh) 

Housty ain’t coming back, I know that now. Course I hoped she’d be sitting here waiting for me when I came home… but a year’s a long time and I guess a woman can’t wait forever. 

(Sigh)

I gotta face facts; Housty ain’t coming back, the money I made on my travels is running low and thanks to a hole in the roof, the two thousand dollars I had stashed in the barn is a soggy mess of pulp and bird shit.

(Sigh)

Ain’t no use moping. I gotta look to the future now, and make a new start. Farming, that’s the way ahead, I reckon. It’s gonna be hard, but while I’ve got Nameless, I ain’t short of company. Shame he didn’t learn to stand on his own four feet while I was away but that don’t matter so much, if someone took care of him. He didn’t go hungry, that’s for sure, if the bones I found on the porch are anything to go by. Hmm, maybe he ate Housty?

2 comments:

  1. A new start, huh, Valance? Like pooch, like pardner... Unsteady on your extremities, and always hungry!
    Onwards and upwards, into the future, but farming? Valance, a farmer... Yeah, right!

    ReplyDelete